Basic Buttercream Frosting
1 Cup Butter, softened
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (or flavor of your choosing, preferably clear)
4 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp. Milk
1. Using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter in a large bowl & then add the vanilla. *
2. Next, add the sifted powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as you go.
3. Add the milk & beat until the frosting is nice & fluffy. ♥
4. Keep the frosting bowl covered with a damp towel until you're ready to use it. ♦
* If you want to make chocolate buttercream frosting simply add 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or three melted unsweetened chocolate squares [1 oz. ea.]) to the creamed butter at the same time you add the vanilla extract.
♥ If you want thinner frosting, simply beat in a couple more tablespoons of milk.
♦ To color the frosting add your desired gel icing color(s) to the completed frosting using small amounts via a toothpick. Stir the color into the frosting until the color is fully incorporated & you've reached your desired color. Keep in mind that colors in buttercream deepen after 1-2 hours.
Greek Yogurt Buttercream
1 Cup Butter, softened/room temperature
1/3 Cup Greek Yogurt (Fage brand is wonderful), room temperature
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract (or flavor of your choosing, preferably clear. I love Almond in this recipe!)
5 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
1. Using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter & greek yogurt in a large bowl & then add your flavoring of choice. *
2. Next, add the sifted powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as you go until the frosting is nice & fluffy. The magical thing about this is that the frosting tastes even better after it sets a while & the flavors get settled in together. Very yummy!